Skin breakdown can occur when someone is in the same position for a long time. It is extremely important to protect yourself and others from skin breakdown. Here are some simple steps to make sure that skin breakdown does not occur:
1. Change positions every two hours.
2. Use pillows to support that skin that breaks down easily. The skin around your pressure points is the most susceptible to skin breakdown and should be supported with pillows. This makes sure that the pressure points are not taking on all of the weight.
3. A healthy diet can help prevent skin breakdown.
4. It is important that people have a clean and dry environment to maintain healthy skin. Moisture, perspiration, urine and bowel movements on the skin can create skin breakdown.
5. Use moisturizing lotion all over to help prevent skin breakdown.
It is important that you be able to recognize the signs of skin breakdown before they happen. If left untreated skin breakdown will advance. Signs of skin breakdown include:
*Dry, raised or shiny skin.
It is important to check for skin breakdown twice a day. Check all areas of the skin and if there are an signs or symptoms of skin breakdown make sure that it is properly treated right away.