January 06, 2014
As we prepare to see the coldest temperatures in decades in this current deep freeze across the country, make sure you, your family, and your organization are prepared in advance.
Make sure your have the following items on hand:
- Full tank of gas
- Emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle that includes warm clothing and blankets
- Extra food and water
- Filled Prescriptions
These cold temperatures can also threaten your home and/or business building. Make sure you take the following safety precautions:
- Make sure your heat is turned on! If you do not have your heat on and your pipes freeze/burst, your insurance policy may not pay for any damage.
- Keep garage doors closed
- It is not safe to use a stove or oven to heat your home
- Do not use generators inside your home
- It is not safe to use grills or camp stoves indoors
- Insulate your windows with plastic to keep the cold air out
Don’t forget to prepare your beloved 4 legged family members for the cold weather too!
- Keep pets inside during extreme temperatures
- Make sure your pets are wearing ID tags
- Dry your pets off when they come in from the snow, cold rain, or sleet
- Do not leave your animals alone in the car!
- Prepare a warm place for them to sleep/get cozy
These are just a few tips to help keep you, your family, and loved ones warm during this deep freeze. Please stay safe & warm!