July 31, 2012
Does your assisted living facility have a pool that the residents use or are in a similar proximity? Although you may be aware of some pool safety tips, do you know specific pool safety tips for residents? Your residents may have known how to swim like an Olympic athlete at one point of time, but now they need specific care and attention around pools, because one slip could be harmful and even fatal, so, follow these safety tips:
- Supervision is a MUST. This supervision must be from an employee.
- Post pool safety signs and talk to your residents about the rules.
- If outdoor pool or if there are many windows, avoid swimming during a thunderstorm.
- Make sure you know the depth of your pool.
- Residents should NEVER jump into the pool.
- There should always be a barrier around the pool such as a fence or a gate and it needs to be locked when the pool is not in use.
- Use inflatable toys and floats with caution
- Have a phone and emergency contact information nearby.