December 23, 2014
Incident Reporting: Sample Checklist
To makes sure that incidents get reported accordingly, use the following checklist to see if you have the following:
- There is a written incident reporting policy/procedure.
- The procedure includes a clear definition of what is reportable.
- The procedure defines responsibility for reporting incidents and emphasizes participation of all staff in all departments.
- The procedure clearly identifies reporting channels.
- The procedure requires reporting and routing of all incident reports in a timely fashion.
- There is a non-punitive approach to incident reporting.
- Each individual report is reviewed by a designated individual in the organization to evaluate for causative factors and if the event was preventable.
- Reports are trended and analyzed on a monthly basis.
- Incident reports and trends are reported to appropriate Committees or Board. Staff receives feedback on the result of an investigation and problem resolution.