January 21, 2012
We all know that when the weather starts to chill, let’s face it, so do our bodies and exercising is not on the top of our priority lists. Snuggling up in a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate sounds like a better option, but it is very important to get your exercise in and keep eating healthy, so here are a few tips to exercising in cold weather:
- Layer your clothes. This allows you to take off articles of clothing when your body temperature rises, that way you don’t get chills from sweating early on.
- Wear the appropriate foot gear for snow and ice. You can purchase steel coils and rubber attachments that go onto your regular sneaker in a snap.
- Stay hydrated! Just because its cold out doesn’t mean that you don’t have to drink water during a workout, you need just as much water as you do in the summer because you will still be sweating.
- Skin and sun protection, such as sunglasses and sunscreen are important to wear in the winter too because the sun reflects from the snow and the roads and can cause your skin to burn.
- Wear your reflective gear so that people in cars can see you. It can be a little harder to see in the cold weather because it could be overcast, snowing, or someone’s just not paying attention; so make sure that you’re doing your part of staying safe.
Be sure to use these tips and all of the other great tips about working out. You can never be too safe so remember to stay warm but wear layers, wear the proper shoe attachments, drink your water, don’t catch too many rays, and wear your reflective gear and you’ll be on your way to a healthy winter season.