An adult family home offers older people an alternative to living alone, or going into a nursing home. Adult family homes offer the older person a higher level of freedom combined with 24 hour assistance in a safe environment. Most adult homes offer a range of assistance including cooking, cleaning and laundering.
Starting an adult family home
If you are considering starting an adult family home you will need several things to hand. A business license is essential and zoning approval. You’ll also need to undergo some training.
1. Contact the Department of Social and Health Services and ask to what the requirement will be needed to open an adult family home WA.
2. Contact the zoning department and confirm your home is zoned properly for an adult home.
3. Take necessary training courses. In addition to the basic course it will include food handling safety courses. You will be taught to protect the health and safety of your residents and caregivers. There will be problem solving and how to respect privacy, dignity and patient rights. You may be asked to submit to a AIDS/HIV course. You can get an idea of the training required online on the DSHS website. There will be specialist training if your planing to deal with residents with dementia, developmental disabilities and mental illness
4. You will be required to obtain the necessary permits and business licenses such as first aid certification and CPR.
5.You’ll need to buy thief, fire, home owners and liability insurance for your adult family home. If you are going to offer medical services, you might be required to purchase malpractice insurance.
6. Get you home up to a standard for an inspection. Give some consideration to meal, transport and activities plans for your residents. Ensure you provide clean linen and facilities, as stated by your DSHS office, at this time, apply for your home care license.
7. Find an experienced assistant to take charge when you leave the home. Choose the right compassionate, caring and capable people to transport, cook and administer medications. Each employee should have passed a vetting and screening procedure by securing a background check. All staff you employ should submit to the state required training.
8. Lastly, Do ensure you market your adult family home WA is on the DSHS website. Print brochures to pass to local clinics and hospitals.